Wednesday, May 1, 2013

I Guess That's How it Works


So I've been getting about 5 emails a day from BC telling me to give money,
 because clearly the people who want to donate tons of money to their college
 are those who are less than a year out and in debt up to their eyeballs. 

So when I got my 9 millionth one of these emails, rather than deleting it, I
 decided to shoot back a stupid response. I 100% believed that it would go
 to a nonworking email address, or that I would get a  DELIVERY STATUS
NOTIFICATION FAILURE notice (or something), or that no one would read it. 

Turns out, I was wrong.




Dear Robert,


It's time to strike BC GOLD!

Again this year, BC GOLD (Graduates of the Last Decade) classes are participating in the BC GOLD Rush Challenge. This is our chance to raise class participation and establish life-changing scholarships. For each class that meets its participation goal, an anonymous donor will give BC $25,000 to help a student in financial need.

But we need your help. The Class of 2012 needs just 367 gifts by May 31 to meet this Challenge. In addition, your name will be listed side-by-side with those of your friends and classmates on the Boston College Honor Roll of Donors.

The GOLD Rush Challenge is all about participation. The more GOLD alumni that donate, the more we can earn for scholarships at BC. A gift of any size will make a huge difference, so please donate what you can.

Participate in the GOLD Rush Challenge by making your gift today.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Best,

Danielle V. Auriemma '10
BC GOLD Leadership Council Co-Chair



This message has been sent by Boston College to alumni and friends of the University.
To be taken off of this list, please click here to change your email preferences.

Robbie Vogel <robbievogel@gmail.com>
10:29 AM (2 hours ago)
to bcfund
Yo, I just spent a quarter of a million dollars to go to that school. I barely have a job, and my parents are struggling to pay BC and will be struggling probably until they die. They just refinanced their house and did a bunch of other stuff like that. So I'm not donating to BC pretty much ever, but certainly not until like 15 years from now at least. So please take me off your list, if that's how this works. 
bcfund
11:46 AM (1 hour ago)
to me
Good afternoon Robbie,

I wanted to let you know I received your message and I have submitted a request to have you taken off the email and mailing list. I wanted to also make you aware of the fact that it can sometimes take a couple of days before your name is removed from the list. Therefore, you may receive some correspondence until my request is processed.

Additionally, I wanted to say that I wish you and your parents the best of luck.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Anyenda Inyagwa
Boston College Fund



That kind of seems like a form letter response, except for the 2nd to last sentence. I bet a lot of people do this kind of thing. You should try it!

PS: I'm JUST NOW seeing that little notice at the bottom of the email that says "To be taken off this list, click here." So, I'm dumb. Fair enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment